Saturday, January 19, 2008

Road Trip Report

What is wrong with me? I have been on the road since December 28, and have only posted once at the beginning of this road trip. Part of my excuse involves not having internet access most of the time - I never realized what a hardship this has become - and part of my excuse involves having such a good time that I have not stopped long enough to reflect. So I'll try to summarize the last few weeks:




  • New Year's Eve in Salem Oregon with brother John and sister-in-law Judy. Pretty quiet evening with single malt scotch to toast out the Auld and toast in the New.


  • Meeting the new Bishop of the Oregon Synod and his assistant at the Bishop's Convocation at the beach. The weekend included wonderful visits with pastor friends, lots of laughs and some shopping (of course) at the Pendleton store (a fabulous blanket with Iriquois turtles).


  • A week in Portland, visiting old friends and church buddies, walking in the Irvington neighborhood, scoping out shops to sell scarves, visiting the Portland Museum of Art. Lots of good meals, good wine and good conversation. Lots of cold and rain.


  • A week at PLTS in a class to teach pastors how to counsel couples preparing for their wedding. Beautiful clear nights with spectacular views across the Bay, good conversations with friends, several good meals and shopping for yarn at my favorite yarn store.

Tonight finds me in Northeastern Nevada preparing to meet the call committee of a congregation looking for a new pastor. It was a 500 mile drive from Berkeley, but I am eager to meet them and happy that our first contact will be a face-to-face meeting. I wanted to check out the area before I made a committment to them, and I wanted them to meet me in person in order to answer the "age question" from the beginning of the relationship. There is snow on the ground here - we are at 5,ooo feet, I understand. At least it's not raining or snowing. Oregon gave me enough of that to last awhile.


Am I becoming addicted to road trips? In spite of my longing for a home of my own, it will be sad to give them up.

1 comment:

semfem said...

I got your phone message--thank you! Will have to call you back in a day or two--I head to Philly tomorrow for First Call Theological Education and I've been running around frantically all day.

Still don't have the sermon done, either. Sigh.

Good luck tomorrow/today!